Monday, September 28, 2009

Victim of Circumstances

I received a call from one of my clients the morning before I went into the hospital, asking me to talk to her Landlord on her behalf, because she could no longer afford to pay the rent, and she would be vacating the premises soon.
I leased her a property after I sold her home, and she and her son moved in soon after. They were both very happy with the condominium. It's a beautiful condo in a gated community. The landlord gave her a deal on the rent and she ended paying $150 less per month than the rest of the tenants. Because of the discount, she decided to sign a lease for two years, so she wouldn't have a rent increase after one year.
Here we are, a year later almost, and like everyone else in the country, she's having a hard time meeting all her expenses. Now that her son is in College and as a single Mom, although she's tried to keep it together she can no longer afford to pay for the place. This is not a person that takes her responsibility lightly. She understands that breaking a lease is not in her best interest, but it's either that, or declare bankruptcy. I've talked to the Landlord and although in no way has she told me that she will hold the tenant harmless, She's agreed to let me put the property on the market. I've tried explaining the situation to the Landlord and she tells me all she cares about is leasing the property, if the tenant can find someone to lease it, she'll take her off the lease. So I hope that I'll be able to lease it immediately and have everyone happy. My client is a great person, and I know that if circumstances had been different, she would have honored her contract.

No comments:

Post a Comment